The Triathlon Victoria Development Program (TVDP) provides a pathway to assist promising juniors to progress to the elite triathlon ranks.
TVDP delivers a nurturing and supportive environment for athletes aged 13 to 23 years as they strive to train and compete at the highest level, and ultimately be the best they can be.
Much work has been done (and continues to be) at the national level to align programs across the country and provide a clear transition to the high-performance environment of National Performance Centres. This ensures a consistent model that develops physical skills, psychological grit, and health and well-being.
- Assist the athlete with the skills and resources to participate and compete at state and national events.
- Provide athletes with an avenue to pursue State and National representation.
- Provide athletes with education and experience through the program coaches and affiliated experts.
- Provide a team environment and foster a team spirit at State and National races.
Image credit: Claire Radford Photography.
There are three tiers within the TVDP, with athletes assessed against the TVDP Selection Policy (see application resources below).
|Talent Squad (inc U23)||Experienced in draft-legal racing and significant results at national / local triathlon and single discipline competitions.|
|Development Squad||Building skills in ‘draft legal’ racing and demonstrating athletic potential (including showing demonstrated signs towards a performance mindset)|
|Next Generation Squad||Athletes who display sport specific skills and show interest in the sport of triathlon|
The program also has an ‘associate’ arm, for athletes who display interest and potential in the sport of triathlon or are ‘new’ to the sport. ‘Associates’ are able to access training days, coaches, specialists and other TVDP members.
Program fees & benefits
2021-22 program fee is $440.00 and provides athletes with the following:
|Events & competition||
Eligibility & Selection
In line with the work being done to align the program nationally (both in activities and development priorities), the TVDP selection policy has had some significant changes.
Key elements of assessment:
- An increased emphasis on awareness and knowledge of health, grit, psychological robustness and the skills necessary for performance in triathlon and multisport.
- Retention of recent competition performances as one component of assessment.
1. Athletes must be at least 14 years of age and no older than 23 years of age at 31/12/2021 and thus eligible to race in the following racing categories:
- ITU Youth: 14-15 years of age as at 31/12/2021
- ITU Junior: 16 – 19 years of age as at 31/12/2021
- ITU U23: 20-23 years as at the 31/12/2021
2. Athletes must be eligible to represent Australia if required.
3. Athletes must be in good standing with both Triathlon Victoria and Triathlon Australia.
4. Athletes must have a coach who is ‘accredited’ by Triathlon Australia (and hold a current membership).
Athletes and parents or guardians should read the Selection Policy before applying.
|July 1||Nominations open|
|July 18||Nominations close|
|TBA||Offers to selected athletes made (and non-selected)|
|August||Acceptances must be received by Triathlon Victoria|
Nominate for 2021-22
Nominations for our 2021-22 program have closed.NOMINATE HERE
Assessment will be then be completed, and nominees advised (successful selection and tier (category), and details of the acceptance timeline confirmed (anticipating early August).
TVDP contact information
For further enquiries or questions about the TVDP, please contact Triathlon Victoria Athlete Pathway Manager via email or call (03) 9598 8686.
TVDP Application Resources
The TVDP Selection Policy and a link to the online application form have been provided below. Please note, calendar is a draft and should be used as a guide only.
Represent Victoria – Selection for Team Vic
Represent Victoria in triathlon thanks to School Sport Victoria
Every year, School Sport Victoria calls for representatives for the Triathlon Championships (13-19 Years).
Categories for Team Victoria Selection in the Championship Events are:
- Junior 13-14 years Boys & Girls Draft legal (Equivalent to ITU Youth B)
- Intermediate 15-16 years Boys & Girls Draft legal (Equivalent to ITU Youth A)
- Senior 17-19 years Boys & Girls Draft legal (Equivalent to ITU Junior)