Dear Members and participants,
With a little less than a month to go in the local (Victorian) season we feel it was important to communicate about the immediate impact of the coronavirus (COVID-19) on triathlon, state what we know and provide links to the best advice.
While the impact of the coronavirus is significant, it is important for us not to panic. The latest advice from Government is “. . .that public events should proceed, but strongly recommend that people that are unwell with cough or fever or other respiratory symptoms should not attend public events or gatherings.” (Australian Health Protection Principal Committee (AHPPC)).
Currently, there are no known transmissions of the infection in the community in Victoria. All known cases in Victoria are due to travel overseas or through a direct link with a traveller. At this point in time, the advice from the Government around sporting events and other public gatherings is that they can still go ahead, and people should go about their lives as normal.
We encourage members to keep a close watch on your personal health and abreast of current health advice via the Australian Government’s Department of Health or the Victorian Government’s Department of Health and Human Services
As a preventative measure we encourage you to consider these 10 ways to reduce your risk of coronavirus*
- Wash hands often with soap & running water (20+ sec) and dry with paper towel / hand dryer.
- Try not to touch your eyes, nose or mouth.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze …
- Isolate yourself at home if you feel sick …
- Phone your GP first if you need medical attention. They will tell you what to do.
- Continue healthy habits: exercise, drink water, get plenty of sleep …
- Don’t wear a face mask if you are well.
- Buy an alcohol-based hand sanitiser with over 60 per cent alcohol.
- Get the flu shot (available April).
- Shaking hands is optional!
*Reference: Department of Health and Human Services 2020, For the Victorian public – coronavirus disease (COVID-19), https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/victorian-public-coronavirus-disease-covid-19
In conjunction with the Victorian Government, Triathlon Australia, event organisers and industry stakeholders we will continue to monitor the situation and communicate with you in a timely manner any changes.