Paul Newsome imparts his knowledge around various swim development areas for athletes and coaches.
- What the difference is between swimming in open water to a pool
- How to structure an open water swim session
- Return to pool protocols
Paul Newsome is the founder and head coach of Swim Smooth and a Triathlon Australia Accredited Coach based in Perth.
Paul’s competitive swimming started at the age of 7 as a typical swim kid at his local swimming club. He was introduced to triathlon at 17 and joined the UK’s World Class Potential program at Bath University while studying a Sports Science Degree. It was during this time that Paul discovered a passion for teaching, coaching and knowledge sharing.
After graduating, Paul began full time swimming and triathlon coaching in Australia, becoming Head Coach to Western Australia’s largest triathlon club. Later he teamed up with Olympic Gold medallist Bill Kirby at his swim school and in 2004 launched Swim Smooth with the ground-breaking Freestyle Technique DVD, Clean Up Your Stroke.
Swim Smooth is a world-class swimming company and trusted by the British Triathlon Federation and the International Triathlon Union who chose Swim Smooth as their experts to re-write the swimming curriculum for all triathlon coaches in the UK and around the world.
Paul has provided the following resources for coaching and athlete use.
- Guide to Open Water Swimming (Booklet)
- About Swim Smooth
- How to structure your Open Water Swim Sessions during COVID-19 if you can still get out there?
- Bands, parachute, against an Endless Pool at 1:14/100m with Australian U18 Open Water Champion
- Does the catch-up drill cause you to over-glide when swimming?
- Taking Few Strokes Makes Your Swimming Less Efficient
- Dan Plews, Hawaii Ironman World Championship AG World Record Holder
- The Smoothest Swimming Technique In The World? Jono Van Hazel
- Winning the Manhattan Island Marathon Swim 2013 (46km)